Custom Plastic Overmolding
We’re a leader in custom plastic overmolding, a plastic injection molding process in which one thermoplastic material is molded over another material to form one part.
Using two separate plastic injection molds on the press, two materials are bonded together during the plastic overmolding process to form plastic parts and components with unique visual or ergonomic appeal, such as handles or knobs.
A wide range of thermoplastic materials can be overmolded, including soft plastics, such as urethanes and thermoplastic elastomers (TPE), and hard plastics, such as nylon and polycarbonate.
Custom plastic overmolding is also used to strengthen, protect and improve a part or end product, while reducing cost, labor and materials.Contact Us
Plastic overmolding offers numerous advantages, including:
- Reduced secondary operation, assembly and labor costs (Molded as one assembly)
- Eliminates bonding step in the manufacturing process (Improved component reliability)
- Improved part strength and structure
- Plastic overmolded components ensure proper alignment, prevents loosening and the plastic resin can provide improved resistance to vibration and shock
- Enhanced design flexibility and multi-material components (Custom plastic overmolding allows for production of parts molded of multiple thermoplastic materials)
Proper mold design and construction and material selection are important in custom plastic overmolding to maintain part tolerances and tooling reliability. We often employ robotic automation in the plastic overmolding process for fast and precise placement of inserts.
Whether reengineering existing products or developing new products, carefully engineered custom overmolded plastic parts and components can eliminate the need for a variety of secondary operations such as sonic welding, bonding, gasketing and assembly, saving time and money.
- Medical devices and instruments
- Parts with soft grip handles
- Knobs for appliances, controls and assemblies
- Encapsulated electronic devices and electrical components
- Window reveal moldings