SCIENTIFIC INJECTION MOLDING
EVCO Plastics employs scientific injection molding, a disciplined approach to determine and control optimum plastic injection molding process parameters, to produce consistent quality molded plastics at a lower overall cost in a wide range of industry applications.
Scientific injection molding establishes consistent, repeatable plastic injection molding process parameters based on predictable facts and data. Focusing on part design, mold design, thermoplastic material selection, and measurement of plastic injection molding process parameters, EVCO Plastics systematically eliminates variables that would result in defective or low quality parts.
Some benefits of scientific injection molding include:
- Higher yield and lower material consumption
- Optimized process and cycle times
- Consistent repeatability and part quality for every set-up and part run
- Better flow control with no weld lines or surface flaws
- Reliable process documentation
EVCO Plastics applies the latest scientific injection molding technology, coupled with the experience of our high trained team and innovative engineering, to ensure optimal plastic injection molding process control, repeatability and part quality for plastic injection molded parts at all of our global locations in the United States, Mexico and China.
At EVCO Plastics, some of the plastic injection molding process parameters controlled in scientific injection molding include:
- Robust part design
- Proper material selection
- Mold design and build
- Critical performance criteria
- Repeatable process
- Quality planning
- Filling, flow and cooling analysis and engineering
- Part ejection and handling
- Integrated operation requirements
With scientific injection molding, we seek to detect where problems may occur and gather data to document and scientifically eliminate those problems. Strategically placed mold transducers assist, providing constant real-time process feedback.
Some of the process data and chart profiles include:
- Fill optimization (fill optimization curve)
- Fill cavity at several speeds under pure velocity control
- Record fill time and peak plastic pressure at each velocity
- Chart relative viscosity as a function of fill time
- Pressurization and gate freeze
- Fill cavity to 99% under controlled velocity
- Set hold pressure at 50-70% of peak fill pressure
- Increase hold time at constant intervals for each shot
- Record and chart part weight versus time
- Pressure loss study
- Recorded injection and cavity pressure (pressure transducer curves)
Early supplier involvement is important in successfully implementing scientific injection molding. Working together in the plastic part and mold design and engineering process ensures your needs are met and saves time and material and investment costs, while producing the highest quality parts.
Case Study: Thermoforming to Plastics Injection Molding
Orion Energy Systems partnered with EVCO Plastics to enhance part quality and save cost.
EVCO Plastics’ expertise in material selection and part and process engineering and design helped Orion Energy Systems find the right plastic material and plastic injection molding process parameters.
When plastics matter to your business, partner with EVCO.
Where innovation takes form.