METAL TO PLASTIC CONVERSION
Improve Products. Reduce Costs. Streamline Manufacturing.
EVCO Plastics is an industry leader with years of experience partnering with OEMs to improve their products, reduce costs and streamline the manufacturing process by converting metal components and assemblies to plastic.
Metal to plastic conversions focus on improving the product or component integrity while reducing overall weight and cost.
A key to success is the continual introduction and improvement of engineered plastic resins that have the strength and durability to compete with metal. In addition, these plastic materials can provide better wear surfaces and have lower friction. For example, metal bearings can be eliminated by designing bearing features directly into the plastic part.
Plastic components are often superior when it comes to high-impact strength, fatigue life or recoverable deformation, and plastic parts can be molded into complex shapes at a much lower cost than machining metal components.
In addition to part weight reduction, consistent dimensions and lower cost, metal to plastic conversions often result in enhanced performance and product value.
- Designs consolidate parts and create additional performance features
- Ability for more complex shapes and geometries
- Opportunity to combine materials for enhanced features using multi-shot molding, overmolding or insert molding
- Increased strength and durability
- Enhanced decoration or labeling with in-mold decorating and labeling
- Improved aesthetics
- Ability to maintain close tolerances
- Plastic materials and construction absorb impact and reduce noise
- Lighter weight components for improved product performance
- Reduced secondary operations, such as painting, machining or assembly
- Improved production consistency
- Reduced part/product weight – reduced shipping and operating costs
- Product improvements resulting in increased customer satisfaction and decreased warranty issues
- Streamlined manufacturing cost savings
- Reduced scrap and waste
- Part consolidation
- Reduced labor and time, eliminating secondary operations and assembly
- Plastic injection molding is a faster and more consistent manufacturing process than metal fabrication
- Tools for testing materials and performance in the design phase predict performance
OEMs in wide array of industries look to EVCO Plastics for insight and engineering expertise in evaluating conversion of an existing product or part from metal to plastic, including:
- Construction equipment
- Industrial pumps
- Fluid power applications
- Agricultural equipment
- Powersport vehicles
- Trucking equipment
- Off-road vehicles
- Consumer products
Learn how EVCO Plastics’ experience in metal to plastic conversion and material selection helped a leading agricultural equipment OEM convert a structural part required to withstand high impact and wear from metal to plastic, reducing part cost and weight and improving the part’s structural and performance properties. Case Study.
EVCO Plastics has the experience and knowledge to guide you through your metal to plastic conversions. With plastic injection molding capabilities and expertise at each of our locations in the United States, Mexico and China, we are equipped to serve around the globe.
When plastics matter to your business, partner with EVCO.
Where innovation takes form.